- Respecting the aspiration of the Constitution for the state to pursue the noble development objective of Gross National Happiness (GNH) propounded by His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo for the benefit of all Bhutanese for all time to come.
- Reflecting the desire of the government to function more effectively and efficiently in support of the Parliamentary Democratic System of Government.
- Recognizing the importance of the government to function as one body treading the same path towards a common goal as reflected in the government decision to merge the functions of the erstwhile Planning Commission and the Committee of Secretaries in the Gross National Happiness Commission (GNHC).
- The Royal Government hereby approves the following mandate and rules of procedures for the GNHC.
To ensure all development policies and plans are formulated and implemented in line with the principles of GNH including:
- Developing a dynamic economy as the foundation for a vibrant democracy;
- Living in harmony with tradition and nature
- Effective and good governance; and
- Investing in our people, the nation’s greatest asset.
The GNHC shall:
- Be the central government body for coordinating and spearheading policy formulation to ensure cohesion between sectoral policies and alignment with the national development objectives and GNH.
- Guide and Direct the formulation of long term perspective plans to provide guidance for future development polices and plans.
- Provide guidance and direction for the formulation of five year development plans.
- Review and endorse five year development plans for submission to the Cabinet.
- Review and recommend the allocation of resources for five year development plans.
- Provide directions for mobilization of resources based on the resource envelope determined by MFCC.
- To commission research/studies/surveys/evaluations to inform development policies and plans.
- Review progress and outcomes of development policies and plans and provide further directives to the GNHC Secretariat for reporting to the Government
- Review and endorse the resource allocation framework
- Ensure cross sectoral coordination and resolution of issues for effective implementation of policies and plans
- Undertake any task assigned by Lhengye Zhungtshog
- The GNH Commission may seek the assistance of any agency including think tanks in discharging its functions. The responsibility of the Think Tank shall be to provide an independent second opinion on the policies of the government for the benefit of the GNH Commission. The Think Tank shall play a critical role in initiating studies and research and reviewing and evaluating policy proposals and its implications.
Membership of the GNHC shall be as follows:
- Hon’ble Prime Minister (Chairperson)
- Hon’ble Minister of Finance(Vice Chair)
- The Cabinet Secretary
- All Secretaries to Ministries
- Head of the National Environment Commission Secretariat
- GNHC Secretary (Member Secretary)
- Besides members, other officials shall participate in the discussions as and when desired by the Commission.
- The GNHC Secretariat shall serve as the secretariat to the Commission.
- The Prime Minister shall be the Chairperson of the Commission and the Minister, Ministry of Finance shall be the Vice Chairperson. The Secretary of the GNH Commission shall be the Member Secretary.
CODE OF CONDUCT
- Strive to maintain the highest standards of integrity, loyalty, dedication and endeavour to promote professional excellence in fulfilling the objectives of the Commission.
- Refrain from unauthorized communication of information, which shall be detrimental to the smooth and efficient functioning and integrity of the Commission.
- Maintain official decorum and refrain from indulging in actions that may tarnish the image of the Commission.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF CHAIRPERSON
The Chairperson shall:
- Endorse the agenda and date for the Commission meetings proposed by the Secretariat.
- Convene and close the sessions of the Commission, direct the discussions, ensure observance of rules, accord the right to speak, raise questions for decisions and announce such decisions.
- He/She shall rule on points of order and, subject to the rules in force, have control of the proceedings and the maintenance of order.
- Provide directives based on the discussions.
- Invite special invitees to attend the sessions as and when deemed necessary.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF VICE-CHAIRPERSON
- In the absence of the Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson shall assume the powers and duties of the Chairperson.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SECRETARIAT
The GNHC Secretariat shall be responsible for the following:
- Formulate long term perspective plans to provide guidance for future development polices and plans in consultation with all relevant stakeholders.
- Identify and propose national priorities, goals & targets for 5 Year Plans.
- Propose capital outlay for development policies, plans and programmes based on national priorities, goals and targets based on the resource envelope determined by MFCC
- Plan, coordinate and monitor the five year plans and programme to achieve national development objectives.
- Provide support to local governments in developing planning, monitoring and evaluation capacity, where necessary.
- Ensure compliance with the Protocol for Policy Formulation.
- Undertake/coordinate research and policy analysis to bring about coherence and consistency in Royal Government policies, socio-economic development objectives and programmes as and when required or directed.
- Conduct/Commission evaluations and impact assessments of policies, plans, programmes and activities to assess the progress towards achievement of national development goals and targets.
- Coordinate and Manage development assistance in line with government priorities.
Additionally the Secretariat will provide the following support services:
- Review the discussion papers submitted by the sectors and apprise the Chairperson.
- Prepare the agenda and coordinate the meetings.
- Ensure that the agenda with all supporting documents are submitted to the members a week in advance
- Maintain record of the meetings and ensure timely circulation.
- Monitor and follow up on the implementation of the Commission’s decisions and submit regular reports on the status and issues related to the matter.
- Carry out works assigned by the GNHC.
FREQUENCY OF SESSIONS
- The Commission shall meet at least once every quarter. Additional meetings may be called by the Chairperson on his own account or upon the request of the secretariat.
NOTIFICATION OF SESSIONS
- Members shall submit agenda items in writing to GNHCS at least two weeks in advance.
- Members shall submit agenda items in writing to the secretariat for subsequent GNH Commission meeting in advance. Secretariat shall review and submit the agenda for approval by the Chairperson.
- Reports and supporting documents required for discussion, shall be distributed with the agenda one week before the meeting
- Attendance shall be mandatory.
- Members who cannot attend the sessions shall inform the Chairperson in writing giving clear reasons about their inability to attend the session.
- Two thirds of the membership shall constitute a quorum.
STATEMENT BY MEMBERS
- Any statement made by any member on the issue tabled for discussion shall be confidential. Any member may address the Commission after obtaining the permission of the Chairperson. The Chairperson may call a speaker to order, if his/her remarks are not relevant to the subject under discussion.
- All decisions of the Commission shall be by consensus, and where the Committee is equally divided on a motion, the Chairperson shall exercise the power of arbitration.